Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Question of TV

Ah, TV.  Let's face it. Every house in a America has one, in some form or another.  Most homes have at least two.  The question is, why?  I've heard  lots of explanations, such as educational value, catching up on the news in the morning, presidential speeches....but really when it comes down to it, the main reason we have TV in our homes is for entertainment.  And like all forms of entertainment, we have to pay attention to the quality and quantity we are putting into our minds and into the minds of our children.

The AAP (American Association of Pediatrics) recommends that children under 2 do not watch any TV at all.  Between ages 2 and 4, only 30 minutes a day. 

Kids are born with a certain amount of potential.  This comes from dear old mom and dad.  How much of that potential is reached is up to environment.  Between birth and five are the most important years of a child's brain development.  This is the time when their brains are making the most connections and have the highest capacity for learning. 99% of TV does very little to enhance brain development.  Read: when your child is sitting in front of a TV you are possibly limiting their potential.

Here are some guidelines I've found to help keep TV in its place:

*Limit TV watching to AAP recommendations.

*Watch DVDs or other shows (Netflix instant viewing, etc.), not TV.  It's less tempting to "just watch one more show" and your kids won't be exposed to commercials.

*Watch the shows with your kids (at least the first time).  If you don't like it, don't let your kids watch it.  Our personal favorites are Kipper, Maisy and Thomas the Tank Engine.  (For some reason, the Brits really seem to know how to make good kids' television).  They are slow, quiet, and have great moral messages that aren't cheesy.

*Don't allow adult shows to be on while your kids are around.  Even during daytime television, movie previews can show vivid sex scenes, gun fights, and demonic images from horror movies.  Images stick.  That's why visual media is so successful.  If it's on, it's going into your kid's head and it's staying there.

*Don't let your kids eat in front of the TV.  This leads to bad habits that are linked with obesity.

Have I let Maggie watch Cinderella at Mammaw's house?  Sure.  Do I thank God that I can let Maggie watch  her show at 5:00 a.m. while I'm still  foggily trying to make a cup of coffee?  Every day.  Do I let her watch a little more TV than normal on days when she or I are sick or because Jack is hunting down bugs to eat around the house?  Of course.  I just try not to make it a habit.


A note about movies:

I have A LOT of kids in my Pre-k and Kindergarten classes who have seen Spiderman, Transformers and Iron Man. I don't agree with this.  I think their parents are doing the best job they know how to do.  I just don't think they are thinking through the repercussions of letting their kids watch PG-13 rated movies.  (I think I'm speaking to the dads mostly here.)  Now, I haven't done any scientific study or have documentation to prove my findings.  But I am saying that those kids who consistently watched movies and shows that were too old for them, according to the rating systems, have been (generally) more aggressive, less respectful, and had an attitude of "I'm a bigger kid than you."  The point is, they don't understand what they are watching.  Most four and five year olds can't follow the complexities in the plot line of a movie like GI Joe.  But the message they get is that violence, sexy girls and cussing is "cool" and "grown up."  They notice that they are one of the only little kids in the theater.  Just because a child can't fully comprehend what they are seeing doesn't mean it won't affect them.

Check out www.pluggedin.com for good detailed reviews on movie content for the latest flick.

I'd like to say this:  I don't think that kids are exposed to more evil in the world than the last generation.  The world is just as evil as is was when Cain and Abel were in disposable fig leaf diapers.  I do think today's kids are exposed to too much, too soon, before they are developmentally mature enough to process and handle it.

Keep your kids kids.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. And I have always said the same thing, lets kids be kids. They have their whole lives to be grown ups right? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily,
    Great blog! I love what you have to say and hope many parents are reading and taking notes. Just wanted to add that Friday mornings around 7:45ish, Power FM (89.7) has the Mungle Movie Review. Matt Mungle is a movie critic who does a great job comparing current movies to past ones so you know what it's similar to. He also has film, theater, concerts, and dvd critiques on his website: mungleshow.com. I heard his review on Inception and it was the final straw that convinced me to see it, and I finally have a good movie to suggest to my parents!
    Hope this helps!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete